International Kikisake-Shi Certification Course
We invite you to International Kikisake-Shi Certification by Master Sake Sommelier, Joshua Kalinan.Sake Service Institute (SSI) is Japan’s leading institution for the certification of Sake Sommeliers with a mission to educate and promote sake as a globally recognized product.SSI had provided education for professional Sake Sommeliers worldwide that specializes in introducing the beauty Japanese Sakes to the global market by curating and introducing sakes to consumers according to their personal taste and preferences.
Tickets are priced at $1250 each – includes sakes, book, notes and one exam sitting.
Venue: Kabuke Sake Bar, 200A, Telok Ayer Street, Singapore 068648.
Date: 14th to 15th November 2020
Time: 9am – 4pm (on both days)
Joshua Kalinan holds several titles, and global awards for wine and sake. Originally trained and certified in wine, Joshua discovered an interest in sake after completing the Certified Wine Educator (CWE) examination in Tokyo and began training as a certified sake sommelier under the Sake Sommelier Association in London. Shortly after, he started to write several articles on sake for Cuisine and Wine Magazine.
Success led to Joshua being appointed as a judge for the 2015 London Sake Challenge. In the same year, he was awarded the prestigious International Kikisake-Shi certification by the Sake Service Institute (SSI) in Japan. Further research and work led to his being awarded the WSET Level 3 in sake, culminating in an inaugural scholarship to study a residential sake and shochu course in Tokyo.
In 2016, Joshua gained international prominence as runner-up in the Sake Sommelier of the Year competition. Then, a global record followed in 2018 when Joshua won Sake Sommelier of the Year, earning a place in history as the first Singaporean ever to achieve the title. Nor did success end there; within months of the historic win Joshua was back in the spotlight — this time for meriting the title Master Sake Sommelier, after acing the exams with distinction, at the Sake Sommelier Academy.
Joshua’s prominence led to several more invitations to speak and write on sake, and in 2019 his contributions were formally recognised by the World Gourmet Summit. That year Joshua was back at the Sake Sommelier of the Year competition, this time as a full serving judge. His official appointment, by the Sake Sommelier Association (United Kingdom), has been celebrated as a mark of rare honour. Global media recognition followed with CNN running a fly-on-the-wall documentary on Joshua and his family, titled ‘Escape from the Ordinary’.
• 2018 Winner Sake Sommelier of the Year
• 2016 Runner-up Sake Sommelier of the Year
• 2015 Semi-finalist Sake Sommelier of the Year
• 2018 Master Sake Sommelier (SSA)
• 2017 Certificate in Sake & Shochu (JSSA)
• 2016 International Kikisake-Shi (SSI)
• 2016 WSET level 3 in Sake (WSET)
• 2014 Certified Sake Sommelier (SSA)
• 2014 Certified Wine Educator (SWE)
• 2014 Certified Wine Professional (CIA)
• 2012 Certified Specialist of Wine (SWE)
• 2004 Certified Sommelier (CMS)
• 2004 Advanced Certificate in Wine and Spirits
• 2003 Intermediate Certificate in Wine and Spirits
• 2012 Graduate Diploma in Training and Development
• 2011 Advanced Certificate in Training and Assessment
• 2005 MBA Maastricht School of Management
• 1996 BBus University of Tasmania
• 1992 Diploma in Marketing (CIM, UK)
• 1991 Diploma in Marketing & Sales Management
To learn more about Japanese Sakes, read Joshua’s latest article by clicking here.
Daily Course Schedule
- 9am - 4pm
- 9am - 4pm